Happy fall!! Here in Jersey it has been high 80’s or 90 degrees. It sure doesn’t feel like fall. I love the flavors of fall and the weather has not stopped me! Between the pumpkin RX bars, my homemade pumpkin bread, my pumpkin spice oatmeal (with egg whites), my hubbard squash soup, and my roasted fall veggies. I keep canned pumpkin in my pantry at all times, it can be easy to throw in pancakes, oatmeal, smoothies, soups, and anything you can think of. I also keep frozen veggies which is super easy to throw in the oven, microwave, or skillet for a quick fall dish.
This taste of fall dish blends in kale, butternut squash, cranberries (can be dried but don’t skip because the sweetness adds to the flavor), and then the edible acorn squash itself.
QUINOA STUFFED ACORN SQUASH
2 acorn squash
1/4 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup butternut squash, chopped
1 cup kale, chopped
2 tbsp fresh or frozen cranberries, halved
3/4 cup quinoa, cooked
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp Umami seasoning (From TJ)
S & P
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Drizzle olive oil on cast iron skillet or baking sheet.
- Microwave acorn squash for 2 minutes (to make it easier to cut). Cut in half, remove seeds (save for later), sprinkle cut side with S&P, place cut side face down on skillet or pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- On medium heat, drizzle olive oil in skillet. Cook onions for 2 minutes. Add butternut squash, garlic, kale, cranberries, and spices. Cook for 10 minutes on lower heat.
- Mix quinoa with kale mixture.
- Remove acorn squash from oven, flip, and fill with quinoa mixture.
- Bake for another 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy the fall taste (you can also eat the skin!)