March is National Nutrition Month®! It is an annual campaign created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. During the month of March, everyone is invited to learn about making informed food choices and developing healthful eating and physical activity habits. The campaign presents a great opportunity to focus on health, nourishment, and sustainable ways to eat and thrive. Many of us may have made new year’s resolutions surrounding diet, and perhaps those have fallen by the wayside. But it’s ok! The good news is, you have the chance to reset, start again, and embrace National Nutrition Month ®. Focus on renewal, change, and the arrival of spring as a way to prioritize YOU. The CDC also offers tips for healthy eating.
Engaging with Registered Dietitians, the most recognized experts in the nutrition field, ensures proven, evidenced-based service from a fully credentialled professional. These Lifestyle Modification Provers also offer Medical Nutrition Therapy, or MNT, a recognized, specific application of the nutrition care process focused on the management of disease. In addition, Nutrition counseling sessions with a Registered Dietitian are covered in most benefits plans, so there is no (or negligible) cost to the participant, but the service often goes unused. Check with your benefits administrator to access your services.
In the meantime, check out how you can Celebrate A World of Flavors this month:
National Nutrition Month® Week 1: Eat a variety of nutritious foods.
- Include healthful foods from all food groups
- Learn how to read nutrition facts labels
- Incorporate your favorite cultural foods and traditions
National Nutrition Month® Week 2: See a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN)
- Ask your doctor for a referral to an RDN
- Find an RDN who specializes in your unique needs
- Receive personalized nutrition information to meet your health goals
National Nutrition Month® Week 3: Plan your meals and snacks.
- Choose healthful recipes to make during the week
- Use a grocery list to shop for nutritious foods
- Make healthful food and drink choices when away from home
National Nutrition Month® Week 4: Create Tasty Foods At Home.
- Learn cooking and meal preparation skills
- Try new flavors and foods from around the world
- Enjoy your meals with friends or family, when possible
National Nutrition Month® Week 5: Put it all together.
- Eat a variety of nutritious foods.
- See an RDN
- Plan your meals and snacks
- Create tasty foods at home.
Learn more about Wellness Coaches’ Nutrition Services and how to engage with a Registered Dietitian.